December 6, 2012

the mallet

Filed under: projects — howarth frank @ 5:14 pm

the mallet is done. it did not turn out as well as i had hoped.  the way i did the seam between the head and the handle is not right.  i should have had the head overlap the handle and not the opposite which is the way i did it.  also, i messed up the shims in the connection between the head and handle. now the head is crooked.  it is also a little on the big side.


December 2, 2012


Filed under: projects — howarth frank @ 9:43 pm

i am working on a shop mallet, this is a before and after photo of the head being turning it to a cylinder.  it has two pockets of lead in it for extra weight.



tenoning jig

Filed under: old tools — howarth frank @ 9:36 pm

i added a wood spacer to the tenoning jig. i think i am finally ready to use it.


December 1, 2012

Claire’s cubby shelf

Filed under: film,projects — howarth frank @ 10:25 pm

YouTube Preview Image

We needed more storage in Claire’s room.  We came up with a cubby shelf of nine cubbies in a three by three grid. Each cubby holds an eleven inch fabric box.  I found I could build this project with one piece of 4 by 8 plywood.  I started by cutting out the pieces for the cabinet carcass. Then I glued and nailed the pieces together starting from the inside working outward.  I cut a rabbet for the back and attached the back, which gives the piece great rigidity. Next I made the top cap. This consists of a frame with a piece of plywood in the center. The function of the top cap is to hide the ends of the plywood sides.  Next I made the base. This consists of a frame on four legs.  The frame is mitered with biscuit joints.  The four legs are turned on the lathe.  I attached the base to the carcass with screws.  The whole things was sanded and painted.  The fabric boxes fit perfectly.

« Previous Page